• Home
  • /
  • 10 Tips to Help Your Child in Math

10 Tips to Help Your Child in Math

Math is unfairly considered the most difficult science that neither adults nor children love. But how do we help a child in math if we don’t even give them a chance to understand its beauty, depth, and value? Look around you. Everything around us is subject to the laws of mathematics: time, space, objects and phenomena. Numbers are used not only in complex engineering, but also in such trivial everyday things as cooking dinner. It’s time to think: maybe it’s not about math, but about our unfair treatment of it. Maybe because you haven’t read how to find the area of a triangle for kids?

Child does not understand math: looking for the cause of the problem

In general, for the successful study of an exact science, several conditions must come together:

The child has the abilities that are necessary to understand and solve mathematical problems;
The confidence of the schoolboy in his abilities;
Interest in mathematics;
An understandable explanation of the material.
The lack of mathematical ability in a child because of a humanitarian mindset is a myth that modern scientists have long ago debunked. All children are potentially talented and very capable. Yes, some students have a talent for math from an early age, while others are poorly expressed. This means only one thing – you need to pay more attention to their development.

Also, many parents wrongly believe that the mathematical mind – it’s logic, analytical thinking. In fact, good imagination, effective memory, volumetric attention, spatial thinking, quick decision-making, and intuition are also needed to understand an exact science.

Why is math so hard to understand?

Most often mathematics is difficult for a schoolchild due to psychological reasons and because you don’t know about how to teach a kinesthetic learner to read:

By burdening him with classes from an early age, you discourage him from studying;
The baby is not confident in himself, convinced of his mathematical stupidity (also at the instigation of adults, often the teacher);
perhaps, you have told about your childhood problems with mathematics, and the child believed that it is difficult and incomprehensible;
the student is not interested in learning the discipline, because he does not understand its meaning, the practical usefulness;
criticism, punishment for bad grades has formed a fear of mistakes and failures, and mathematics, as A. P. Konforovich said, “yields its fortresses only to the strong and brave.”
the subject is read at school uninteresting and incomprehensible.

How to help your child cope with mathematics? Simple ways to solve a difficult problem

You have to understand that math ability is only 10% God’s gift, and the other 90% consists of effective motivation and hard systematic work. To begin with, you have to form a positive attitude towards the queen of sciences in your child, and then organize effective learning.

We offer 10 tips for parents to help your child cope with mathematics:

Show by vivid examples how you can apply mathematical knowledge in life. Talk about the connection to mathematics in other sciences, professions, and the arts.
Encourage your child’s interest in numbers. Talk about the benefits and beauty of an exact science, but about your own negative experiences, difficulties with mathematics, it is better to be silent.
Don’t force children to learn math before they are ready.
Make learning interesting. Use games, puzzles and no rote learning!
Use visual examples. Elementary school-aged children and preschoolers have a predominant visual imaginative mindset. If they can visualize a math problem, it will be easier for them to solve it.
Keep in touch with the teacher. This will allow you to help your student in a timely manner if he or she is behind on a topic. Remember, everything in math is interconnected. Gaps should not be allowed, as failing to understand one task can lead to falling behind on the following topics as well.
Learn from the simple to the complex. Mathematics has the advantage of accuracy and consistency.
Allow at least 15 minutes each day. Regular practice is essential to any developmental process, both physical and mental. Practice and repeat what you’ve learned. The more a child puts knowledge into practice, the better he will learn it.
Praise and forget about criticism. Mistakes are no big deal. They will help the student better understand what he does wrong, and find the right solution. Concentrate better on what the child is doing well, be sure to notice the little mathematical success of the schoolboy, accustom him to the idea that if you try hard enough, everything will work out.
Develop a child’s mind harmoniously, paying attention not only to logic and analysis skills, but also figurative thinking, memory, ingenuity. It is useful to enroll your schoolchild in developmental courses.